Würzburger Dolmetscherschule is a renowned vocational college offering further and higher education courses in Würzburg, a picturesque student city with a historical city centre in northern Bavaria, Germany. We have been training interpreters and translators since the 1970s, but we also offer language correspondence courses as part of our portfolio, as well as a course of study that prepares business administration managers for the ever-changing world of work. In essence, we provide practical, relevant language training programmes to young adults. Most of our experienced staff have been with us for many years, but there is a growing number of younger teachers working with us too. We have thrived in the face of the challenges presented by Covid-19 pandemic: as a digital school, we were able to quickly adapt to online teaching to ensure our students are even better prepared for entering the job market after they graduate.
As of September 2022, there will be a vacancy for a teaching fellow in our English department.
We are looking for an English native speaker who will teach English to mostly German native students between B1 and C2 level. Subjects may include general language and linguistics classes, writing modules, cultural studies, or English communication. The composition of our courses allows for a great degree of creative freedom and flexibility. Our students are mostly adults (16-23) and especially motivated as they are working towards their final state exams over the course of 1, 2 or 3 years, depending on the programme they are on and their entry level.
Ideally, you should have a passion for language(s) and enjoy looking at them analytically from different perspectives. Experience in translation or interpreting would be helpful but is not a fixed requirement. We are looking to fill the position long-term and as full-time.
You should be an English native speaker.
- If you studied in your home country, German must be a core part of your degree (e.g. German studies, translation studies with German, etc.)
- If you studied in Germany, we are more flexible about the type of degree you have, but ideally it has something to do with languages or linguistics.
- Teaching experience is desirable, but we are also happy to consider you as a candidate if you have no such background yet have worked with / studied languages in particular.
Working for us:
- We can offer you a career in further and higher education teaching without the amount of extra pedagogical time you would spend when teaching younger children; our students already have a school-leavers qualification and are committed to their training.
- The school is run in a very progressive way and there is scope for you to take on additional responsibilities and contribute to improving our programmes together with the heads of school and other staff members, as well as a varied CPD programme.
- You will receive all the assistance you need in finding your bearings and will be inducted by a very helpful and friendly staff body.
- We offer a competitive starting salary, which will increase over the course of your time with us automatically.
If we have managed to tickle your interest, please get in touch with me via email.
Deputy head of school